To mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of Samuel Beckett, a plaque outside House 39 was unveiled by his neice. Beckett was an undergraduate at Trinity from 1923 to 1927, and a lecturer briefly in the 1930s.
Beckett graduated with a first in Modern Languages from TCD in 1927 and was a lecturer in French in 1930-31. He was conferred with an Honorary Degree from the University in 1959, and in 1986 agreed to naming the new Drama Department as the Samuel Beckett Centre, in honour of his 80th birthday.
Pictured at the unveling of the plaque outside House 39 in Trinity, marking the Beckett Centenary Festival are Bernard Meehan, Keeper of Manuscripts at TCD, Michael Colgan, The Gate Theatre, Provost Dr John Heagarty, Caroline Beckett Murphy and Edward Beckett.