- Irish public life cursed by crony politics, ranging from eleven Taoiseach’s nominees to Seanad to appointments to the boards of FAS, CIE and all semi- state bodies.
- Bank boards have been stuffed with cronies. Now that most banks are nationalised the appointments of directors are in the gift of government.
- An independent commission to select nominees to all boards. Those appointed should have to appear before an Oireachtas committee in public in front of television cameras. This procedure should ascertain whether the candidates are suitably qualified for the appointments.
- The Dail committees should ratify them by a two thirds majority.
- The number of semi-state bodies and agencies should be slashed. Today they run into hundreds.
What do you think about Cronyism in Irish politics?
Join in the discussion of my policies, and tell me what you think about tackling cronyism.
Please share your thoughts too on my other key policy platforms:
- What about dismantling Tribal Politics through Dail Reform?
- Cleaning up the Banking sector?
- Tackling the twin problems of Unemployment and Emigration?
I welcome your thoughts – after all, you are the people I represent.