Climate Change and the Environment will of course be important issues in the coming weeks of the election campaign. To ensure it stays at the top of the agenda when the election is over, I have placed a motion for debate it in the Seanad on the subject for when the new Oireachtas meets. The motion I put down is as follows:
That Seanad Éireann:
• Acknowledges the major threat climate change poses to us all;
• Welcomes the EU target of a 20% cut in emissions by 2020;
• Condemns the failure of the government to meet the targets it set itself in the National Climate Change Strategy;
• Urges the government to meet the targets for renewable energy contained in the Energy White Paper and the Bio-energy Action Plan;
• Encourages, in particular, investment in the development of sustainable and renewable energy technologies;
• Presses the government to take further environmental action in the transport and housing sectors.